Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Let's Make A Paddle ~ 2

In the last few evenings, I've begun getting to grip to emerge from all the wood I glued together up there. I didn't take any photos , but last night it looked like a big fat bar of soap on a stick! I have a few more passed to make with a micro-plane rasp and lots good old fashioned hand sanding ahead of me, although I will probably cheat with my random orbit sander. The white markings are blackboard chalk. I like using it for wood working, especially with hand planes, so I can locate high/low spots on a project. It comes off easily, and It help me from working too deep into the wood most of the time. You can see a black section on the end of the grip, the epoxy didn't fill that, but it will either be sanded out or filled when I epoxy her all up later. I I did weight the paddle with the grip blocks, blade at full thickness, but cut to shape...5 lbs! The goal is less than 2 lbs, the closer 24-28 ounces the better! time to sharpen up some tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment